Thursday, August 22, 2013

The House of Walker

Today I'll address the best-selling scotch whisky on the planet: Johnnie Walker. The history is rich and the whisky plentiful. And affordable to boot. http://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/AgeGateway.aspx

Historically, blended whiskies have always been more profitable. Initially, single malt scotch whiskies were inconsistent at best, making the final liquid out of the barrel either great...or awful. In order to give a more consistent flavor profile, distillers began mixing grain whiskies (whiskies malted with grains such as wheat or rye or corn rather than barley) to give every bottle the same flavors. Alexander Walker, the father of Johnnie Walker, began working at his father's grocery store (father being John Walker), he was struck with an idea after a flood decimated the business. He suggested that his father and he go into making whisky. Alexander had experience as a tea blender, so naturally it worked into scotch blending.

The JW line-up is as follows. There is a reason for where I put them as I will explain in the coming weeks.

Red Label
Black Label
Double Black
                           Green Label
Swing

Gold Label
                                                          Platinum Label
                             Blue Label
                                                          King George

If they are left aligned, their flavors generally follow a progression. If they are in the "center" column, they are different. And finally, I have yet to have the Platinum or King George varieties.


"Keep Walkin'" is the creed of JW. Never stop pressing forward. Experiment, try, and never fear what comes next, for the world does not stop turning; neither should you stop walking. Obviously the "Walker" in the name lends itself for the obvious association. Yet, there's more to it. JW has the largest variety of blends on the market by far, and each one offers a distinct flavor. Even the lowly Red Label can be drunk neat without cringing. Since I have begun my journey, I have watched 2 new label be created and 1 label die. Double Black was released not too long ago as a development off of Black Label. Platinum is a new release, initially tested in the Asian markets as a super-premium blend. And as I have seen on the JW website, Green is not longer on their website (along with Gold, but that's silly. Gold's still there. Has to be).

OK BUT NOW WHERE ARE THE REVIEWS YOU SPOKE SO MUCH ABOUT?!

Patience.



Ok, a story and a review.

My first scotch experience.

It was a scotch and cigars night when I was newly 21 organized by a fraternity brother at the house rented by a few people nearby. The 137. $15 got you a glass of scotch and a cigar. Nothing fancy as far as cigars go, but I remember the scotch. Johnnie Walker Green Label. At the time, I knew nothing. I got it on the rocks (little did I know any better). A taste...confusion. Usually liquor tastes...strong. Overwhelming. This tastes like...applejuice? Smokey, but a kick of...salt? Yes, salt. Seawater. And a distinct flavor I cannot place. Ever since then, my palate has been afixed to the sneaky  liquid. Usquenaugh, Gaelic for "water of Life."

Green Label is a vatted malt or pure malt. Meaning there are only single malts (I'll explain later).
The flavor profile is one of harmony, not blending.
The nose is strong of peat, smoke, seaweed, biscuits.
Color is dark gold/amber
Taste is fresh, salty, iodine, deep butter, slight hints of nuts
Long finish of smoke

It saddens me to see it discontinued, but it will always have a special place in my heart.

Next time: Blended? Single? WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment