Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Why

What is it about whisky? Why does it create such a vivid image in the minds of those from all walks of life? The smell is powerful (good or bad), but certainly memorable.

Think: what do you see? An older gentleman, well-dressed, in a study perhaps?

Well, as a whisky enthusiast under the age of 60, I have certainly gotten my share of derision, ridicule, and outright disbelief at my love of scotch whisky. My aim here (besides writing about something that is near and dear to my heart and my palate) is to explore the why of whisky and to keep record of my whisky journey. I have been on this journey for 4 years, so I'm a bit behind my catalog, but I'll do my best.

As inauguration, I'll explore the why. Well, whisky is malted barley distilled into whisky. Barely. The seed of civilization. Ancient Mesopotamian beer recipies were the first discovered recipies in history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_beer (I cited wikipedia...deal with it). It was agriculture that allowed the human civilization to develop. And barley was the instrument of that change. So, barley and civilization are tied together.

Then we have alcohol, a substance that (I'd bet) every culture has a version of. Hell, even animals eat fermented fruit (even elephants raid human booze shed to get drunk http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/dec/03/elephants-drunken-rampage-india). Maybe we're born-and-bred alcoholics.

But scotch whisky has a tradition dating back hundreds of years (near around late 1490s). At fist, it was thought to be medicinal. Which I highly agree. First thing I do when I feel a cold coming on is grab a dram. It isn't good for you necessarily, but damn well it isn't good for whatever is making you sick. A double of Lagavulin will kill anything. As it evolved, the tastes became more refined, more differentiated.

What other drink made of the same ingredients has such varied taste? Water, barley, yeast. Malt, ferment, distil. That's it. No more, no less.

But the approaches, oh how they vary! Scotch is not something to be rushed. The LEAST amount of time a Scotch can take is 3 years. From a corporate standpoint, that's a large set-up investment, 3 years of labor cost, and finally, the selling. What a gamble! And 3 years is hardly standard. Lowest normally seen is 8 years, standard of 12 (10 for islays).

So maybe it's the risk taken that makes the drink exciting. Maybe it's the history of tradition. Maybe it's the time of which it was created put in a bottle. The harsh saltiness of Islay or the floral smell of the Highlands. The dry fruitiness of the lowlands, or the sweet smoke of the Speyside (or the oft forgotten spice of Campbeltown). Scotch is a drink that will make you listen, make you think before you speak, make you appreciate the fine craftsmanship. Sure, there are garbage whiskies (as with anything), but for my taste, there's nothing near a whisky.

No comments:

Post a Comment